Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Hard Day's Night

A great day does not a happy nightime make...
Oh, last night. I do not wish to repeat you. Don’t get me wrong – day was wonderful! We had a nice morning, took a walk by the river, and generally got on with the business of being a family. And then…nighttime arrived.

Blaine refuses to fall asleep at night to anything but prolonged, tedious nursing, which is frustrating for me. After "falling asleep" from 8:00 until 9:00, he slept until about 12:30, and then decided that he did not like being put in his bassinet at all. He slept so lightly that he woke up every time I put him in there, and then refused to fall asleep again. I was up at least once almost every hour after that. I’m not going to lie – there was a moment of irritation that went beyond just frowning. I had to walk into the kitchen and hit the counter a few times. I think that was at about 2:45 a.m. It didn’t get much better from there. Blaine kicked and sulked and generally tossed around all night long. When it was finally time to get up at 6:30 to go for my walk, I was tempted to give up and not go. But – it’s my only out for the day, so I managed to do it. Plus, I just couldn't say "no" to Syd and Nuts - they love their walk so much.

I can’t wait for the day (even though all the baby books say that day should be now) that he can sleep for more than three hours at a time. Five hours? That would be bliss! I’ll take it! Nevertheless, I can see that we are making strides every week, and it’s good…
Can I just say that Blaine is napping so well and so routinely during the day lately that I actually got to take a shower this morning? It was lightning-fast and nerve-wracking, but I did it! I even managed to shave my legs…

No comments:

Post a Comment