Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Good Baby

Man, we have this schedule down! For the past few weeks now, I have been using the advice that I found in 'Secrets of the Baby Whisperer' to help me with two very important goals:

1. Not breastfeeding every 45 minutes.
2. Getting Blaine to nap routinely.

I am seriously going to buy a copy of that book for every pregnant woman I know! After learning how to read his cues and "listen" to him, Blaine and I have been on much better terms. I know that there is a lot of controversy regarding putting babies on a schedule, but here's what worked for me:

I strive for a "sleep, eat, play" routine. This way, Blaine is alert and hungry when I feed him, which leads to much more productive feedings. He gets more (because he doesn't fall asleep) and I don't become so sore that I have to go back to using the plastic shields again. (Finally weaned off of those, thank goodness.) The other bonus is that the little guy is getting three to four good naps a day, and he is much happier during his 90+ minutes of awake-time in between. I don't time his feedings or his naps, but he naturally fell into a fairly consistant schedule... he stays awake for about and hour and a half, has a nap (anywhere from 30-90 minutess), and then wakes up and eats. It is awesome to enjoy him more, and I can tell that he is a lot happier, too. Thank goodness, because life is beginning to pick up...

This week, we have a lot of company. Auntie Amber came down from Denver to visit, which was awesome. She brought presents and taught Blaine how to have "dance time." We also went to the famer's market for teh first time (see giant Bavarian pretzel, above). We love Auntie Amber...she is wonderful. Now, Nonni is here from California and is already showering him with attention and gifts.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love my little nephew Blaine! And I sure do miss that adorable face! I'll be back soon...I just can't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete