Monday, June 18, 2012

Post-Baby Fun

On Sunday, I participated in my first post-baby event. For Father's Day, I asked my step-dad to participate in a mountain bike race  in Salida. I've never done one, but thought it would be something fun we could do together. (I'm all about gifting "experiences" rather than gifts this year.) He is an experienced rider and leant me his awesome Gary Fisher bike for the day. I wasn't convinced that I'd need it, considering we were entering the 'beginner' division.

The race was intense! It was six miles long, and at least half of that was uphill work. I've been biking every other day for the last few weeks, and was so glad that I have! It was a tough uphill climb to the (near) top of Tenderfoot mountain, and then some tricky single-track. I haven't done any serious downhill for a long time, and I must admit that I am seriously out of practice. But, I made it down in one piece and had a wonderful day.

At the end of the day, I didn't know which to be prouder of: my medal, or my very well-behaved and happy baby boy, who braved his first FIBArk ever! He rode around in the stroller with his Nonni and withstood the warm weather. He only finally got really tired and cranky at about 4:00 in the afternoon. He's a good little cheerleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment